There are several ways to tell us your address has changed:

IRS formUse Form 8822, Change of Address or Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party -Business
Tax returnUse your new address when you file
Written statementSend the IRS a signed written statement with your:full nameold addressnew addresssocial security number, ITIN, or EINMail your signed statement to the addresswhere you filed your last return.
Oral notificationTell the IRS in person or by telephone. They’ll need you to verify your identity and the address we have on file for you. Please have ready your:full namenew addressold addressdate of birthsocial security number,ITIN or EINThey may request additional information to verify your identity.

If you filed a joint return, and are still residing with your spouse, both you and your spouse should provide your names, social security numbers, and signatures on the form or statement.

If you filed a joint return and you now have separate addresses, each of you should notify the IRS of your new, separate address.

Authorized representatives filing a form or written statement to change an address for a taxpayer must attach a copy of their power of attorney or Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative. Unauthorized third parties can’t change a taxpayer’s address.

Changes of address through the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) may update your address of record on file with the IRS based on what they retain in their National Change of Address (NCOA) database. However, even when you notify the USPS, not all post offices forward government checks, so you should still notify the IRS.

For changes of address relating to an employment tax return, the IRS issuesconfirmation notices (Notices 148A and 148B) for the change to both the new and former address.

It can generally take four to six weeks after receipt for a change of address request to fully process.

Leave a Reply